Configuration['CM_PERMISSION_CAN_MANAGE_COMMUNITY_MODERATION'] = false; $Context->Configuration['CM_PERMISSION_CAN_MODERATE'] = false; $Context->Configuration['CM_PERMISSION_CAN_META_MODERATE'] = false; $Context->Configuration['CM_PERMISSION_IMMUNE_TO_MODERATION'] = false; $Context->Configuration['CM_PERMISSION_NO_MAXIMUM_POINTS'] = false; $Context->Configuration['CM_PERMISSION_CAN_RE_MODERATE'] = false; $Context->Configuration['CM_PERMISSION_CAN_RE_META_MODERATE'] = false; $Context->Configuration['CM_PERMISSION_UNLIMITED_MODERATION_VOTES'] = false; $Context->Configuration['CM_PERMISSION_CAN_MODERATE_OWN_COMMENTS'] = false; $Context->Configuration['CM_PERMISSION_CAN_MODERATE_OWN_DISCUSSIONS'] = false; $Context->Configuration['CM_PERMISSION_CAN_MODERATE_AND_META_MODERATE_SAME_COMMENT'] = false; $Context->Configuration['CM_PERMISSION_CAN_RE_MODERATE_USERS'] = false; $Context->Configuration['CM_PERMISSION_CAN_VIEW_USER_POINTS'] = false; $Context->Configuration['CM_PERMISSION_CAN_VIEW_OWN_POINTS'] = false; $Context->Configuration['CM_PERMISSION_CAN_VIEW_USER_POINTS_HISTORY'] = false; $Context->Configuration['CM_PERMISSION_CAN_VIEW_OWN_POINTS_HISTORY'] = false; $Context->Configuration['CM_PERMISSION_CAN_SEE_UP_VOTES'] = false; $Context->Configuration['CM_PERMISSION_CAN_SEE_DOWN_VOTES'] = false; function CM_Role_DefineRolePermissions(&$Role) { $Role->AddPermission('CM_PERMISSION_CAN_MANAGE_COMMUNITY_MODERATION'); $Role->AddPermission('CM_PERMISSION_CAN_MODERATE'); $Role->AddPermission('CM_PERMISSION_CAN_META_MODERATE'); $Role->AddPermission('CM_PERMISSION_IMMUNE_TO_MODERATION'); $Role->AddPermission('CM_PERMISSION_NO_MAXIMUM_POINTS'); $Role->AddPermission('CM_PERMISSION_CAN_RE_MODERATE'); $Role->AddPermission('CM_PERMISSION_CAN_RE_META_MODERATE'); $Role->AddPermission('CM_PERMISSION_UNLIMITED_MODERATION_VOTES'); $Role->AddPermission('CM_PERMISSION_CAN_MODERATE_OWN_COMMENTS'); $Role->AddPermission('CM_PERMISSION_CAN_MODERATE_OWN_DISCUSSIONS'); $Role->AddPermission('CM_PERMISSION_CAN_MODERATE_AND_META_MODERATE_SAME_COMMENT'); $Role->AddPermission('CM_PERMISSION_CAN_RE_MODERATE_USERS'); $Role->AddPermission('CM_PERMISSION_CAN_VIEW_USER_POINTS'); $Role->AddPermission('CM_PERMISSION_CAN_VIEW_OWN_POINTS'); $Role->AddPermission('CM_PERMISSION_CAN_VIEW_USER_POINTS_HISTORY'); $Role->AddPermission('CM_PERMISSION_CAN_VIEW_OWN_POINTS_HISTORY'); $Role->AddPermission('CM_PERMISSION_CAN_SEE_UP_VOTES'); $Role->AddPermission('CM_PERMISSION_CAN_SEE_DOWN_VOTES'); } $Context->AddToDelegate('Role', 'DefineRolePermissions', 'CM_Role_DefineRolePermissions'); ?> Red Skies | Urban Terror | Forum - Python
Not signed in (Sign In)

News

2012-12-03
4.2.008 released!
2012-12-01
Red Skies t-shirt
2012-10-28
4.2.004 released!
2012-10-12
4.2.003 released!
2012-10-03
4.2.002 released!
2012-07-30
Auth system
2012-05-29
4.2 News
2012-05-14
Member kicked

Vanilla 1.3.0 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSubJunk 
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2011
      3 points
    Isn't the important thing that they can "make some pretty awesome stuff" and not what they do or do not know?

I remember when I was studying programming at uni, one of my tutors insisted that we didn't use any programs more complex than Notepad, so it was just simple text and command lines for the whole year.
    I learned a lot of syntax from that for sure, but it wasn't until I embraced using other people's code (whether it's frameworks, libraries, plugins, etc.) that I was able to be very productive with programming.

So what if someone can write a program from scratch, I can for sure, but who cares. What is the use of re-writing code that has already been written before
    So you can say "hey everyone I'm an awesome programmer"?

Well my programs are used by literally millions of people around the world with that number growing every day, and have positive articles written about them by top websites and magazines, and that's what I consider to be success as a programmer, not whether I wrote it all as opposed to copy/pasted some or learned from dissecting other people's code or whatever.

Runamok: hard to tell if you've hit the crazy dancing guy to be fair
  1.   0 points
    And that's why it's called an opinion.

Show us some if your programs :)

I'm actually interesting in seeing them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRunamok 
      3 points
    slightly off topic but, made me laugh as much as this convo did.

The only time writing code from scratch honestly matters is when you're at uni anyway.. lol
    ------------------------------------------------
    Lucifer: TOO MUCH NICE STUFF IN ONE POST FxCK YOU ALL
    SubJunk: who the hell is Rocket?
    •  
      CommentAuthortuk-tuk
      0 points
    I can see the merit to both, I wish I had learnt some in notepad, I can't figure out what's going on and my teacher goes far too fast. He's acting as if we've had the same experience as him so he always says "I want you to skim over this part of the tutorial and get right into it, don't spend any length of time reading". zzzzzzzzz.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSubJunk 
      1 point
    Runamok:The only time writing code from scratch honestly matters is when you're at uni anyway.. lol
    This

tuk-tuk:I can see the merit to both
    Yeah for sure

ChickenPotato:And that's why it's called an opinion.
    Yeah mate and this is just mine. Sorry if I ranted a little bit, it's something I feel passionately about because I think too many talented programmers waste too much time re-inventing things when they could be contributing - but of course there are others who try to contribute before they know enough to make things better, so there has to be balance.

ChickenPotato:Show us some if your programs :)

I'm actually interesting in seeing them.
    The most popular by far is probably PS3 Media Server which got voted the best personal media streaming tool on Lifehacker. It's written in Java, which I'm sure you don't like, but it allows us to easily support all major operating systems.
    The second most popular is the program that runs these forums, called Vanilla, which is written in PHP which in some ways reminds me of Python.
    Then there are other PHP programs like Dual Monitor Backgrounds and all the related websites.

•  
      CommentAuthorMoo 
      0 points
    that's legit.
  2.   0 points
    I approve of the above posts.
    •  
      CommentAuthormrBob 
      1 point
    SubJunk:Or if you're someone who learns best with tutorials there are loads of good, free ones online, like the official one here
    Need to remove the " to get the link to work.

I think it depends on the person on how they learn how to program but that it is different to learning a new language. eg if you had never programmed before, a step-by-step procedure on how an if statement works would be useful, whereas for someone that had programmed before would just need to know the syntax for the language they're learning. It also depends on what the person is going to do. Are you a full time programmer that is going to be creating full blown apps in which you would, for example, need to know how to programatically code a complex ui or just creating a simple utility that you and maybe a few work colleagues are going to use where using a drag and drop IDE would be quickest/easiest?

But, I'm like Sub - whilst learning how to create your own dynamically growing or shrinking array gave me a nice warm fuzzy feeling inside, simply just using a Vector ( for Java or ArrayList for c# - I learnt Java at uni and use c# at work - very similar languages except searching on how to use vectors in c# had nothing to do with storing data in an array like structure) was a lot easier. I often deride myself for being a copy\paste programmer but in terms of producing results it can't be beat especially when learning a language. Although I do admit it can produce some pretty ugly code - I was editing a script I had written a few months earlier and found a couple of blocks of code that I removed and replaced with a single line.

Anyway, tee hee hee, PS3 Media Server - just as funny as the Perpetual Motion Squad...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSubJunk 
      0 points
    mrBob:tee hee hee, PS3 Media Server - just as funny as the Perpetual Motion Squad...
    Hahaha yeah mate