Configuration['CM_PERMISSION_CAN_MANAGE_COMMUNITY_MODERATION'] = false; $Context->Configuration['CM_PERMISSION_CAN_MODERATE'] = false; $Context->Configuration['CM_PERMISSION_CAN_META_MODERATE'] = false; $Context->Configuration['CM_PERMISSION_IMMUNE_TO_MODERATION'] = false; $Context->Configuration['CM_PERMISSION_NO_MAXIMUM_POINTS'] = false; $Context->Configuration['CM_PERMISSION_CAN_RE_MODERATE'] = false; $Context->Configuration['CM_PERMISSION_CAN_RE_META_MODERATE'] = false; $Context->Configuration['CM_PERMISSION_UNLIMITED_MODERATION_VOTES'] = false; $Context->Configuration['CM_PERMISSION_CAN_MODERATE_OWN_COMMENTS'] = false; $Context->Configuration['CM_PERMISSION_CAN_MODERATE_OWN_DISCUSSIONS'] = false; $Context->Configuration['CM_PERMISSION_CAN_MODERATE_AND_META_MODERATE_SAME_COMMENT'] = false; $Context->Configuration['CM_PERMISSION_CAN_RE_MODERATE_USERS'] = false; $Context->Configuration['CM_PERMISSION_CAN_VIEW_USER_POINTS'] = false; $Context->Configuration['CM_PERMISSION_CAN_VIEW_OWN_POINTS'] = false; $Context->Configuration['CM_PERMISSION_CAN_VIEW_USER_POINTS_HISTORY'] = false; $Context->Configuration['CM_PERMISSION_CAN_VIEW_OWN_POINTS_HISTORY'] = false; $Context->Configuration['CM_PERMISSION_CAN_SEE_UP_VOTES'] = false; $Context->Configuration['CM_PERMISSION_CAN_SEE_DOWN_VOTES'] = false; function CM_Role_DefineRolePermissions(&$Role) { $Role->AddPermission('CM_PERMISSION_CAN_MANAGE_COMMUNITY_MODERATION'); $Role->AddPermission('CM_PERMISSION_CAN_MODERATE'); $Role->AddPermission('CM_PERMISSION_CAN_META_MODERATE'); $Role->AddPermission('CM_PERMISSION_IMMUNE_TO_MODERATION'); $Role->AddPermission('CM_PERMISSION_NO_MAXIMUM_POINTS'); $Role->AddPermission('CM_PERMISSION_CAN_RE_MODERATE'); $Role->AddPermission('CM_PERMISSION_CAN_RE_META_MODERATE'); $Role->AddPermission('CM_PERMISSION_UNLIMITED_MODERATION_VOTES'); $Role->AddPermission('CM_PERMISSION_CAN_MODERATE_OWN_COMMENTS'); $Role->AddPermission('CM_PERMISSION_CAN_MODERATE_OWN_DISCUSSIONS'); $Role->AddPermission('CM_PERMISSION_CAN_MODERATE_AND_META_MODERATE_SAME_COMMENT'); $Role->AddPermission('CM_PERMISSION_CAN_RE_MODERATE_USERS'); $Role->AddPermission('CM_PERMISSION_CAN_VIEW_USER_POINTS'); $Role->AddPermission('CM_PERMISSION_CAN_VIEW_OWN_POINTS'); $Role->AddPermission('CM_PERMISSION_CAN_VIEW_USER_POINTS_HISTORY'); $Role->AddPermission('CM_PERMISSION_CAN_VIEW_OWN_POINTS_HISTORY'); $Role->AddPermission('CM_PERMISSION_CAN_SEE_UP_VOTES'); $Role->AddPermission('CM_PERMISSION_CAN_SEE_DOWN_VOTES'); } $Context->AddToDelegate('Role', 'DefineRolePermissions', 'CM_Role_DefineRolePermissions'); ?> Red Skies | Urban Terror | Forum - Did Jesus rise from the dead?
Not signed in (Sign In)

News

2012-12-03
4.2.008 released!
2012-12-01
Red Skies t-shirt
2012-10-28
4.2.004 released!
2012-10-12
4.2.003 released!
2012-10-03
4.2.002 released!
2012-07-30
Auth system
2012-05-29
4.2 News
2012-05-14
Member kicked

Vanilla 1.3.0 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorJAMedic 
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2010
      0 points
    NuclearAge:Who said men can't multi-task?

Who said Rocket was a ma-- *ducks to avoid Rocket's slap*

SubJunk:
    JAMedic:That was a good debate Subjunk, thanks for sharing it :bigsmile:
    Cheers :smile:
    My friend and I are wondering how long it will take Licona to become an atheist :tongue: It seems like Carrier raised some points that really got through to him at times

Mhm, there were a lot of good points raised - I really have to agree that the format was excellent for bringing out more of a discussion than a debate. Personally, I think Licona was a better speaker, but I think it's a fairly moot argument - without a presupposition for the possibility of divinity, or at the very least, the supernatural, the probability of Jesus being raised can only be seen as nil. And because the majority of academic thought is approaching the topic (or any topic) without that presupposition, it's never going to be accepted as historical fact. Really the debate only offered Licona a chance to demonstrate the validity of the evidence he sees as supporting his beliefs - personally, I think he did that quite well. Carrier's argument that the burden of truth lies on Licona and that the evidence Licona needs must be fairly extraordinary was fairly standard - although I'm surprised that he didn't call into question the reliability of the epistles in terms of whether Paul was even giving what he believed to be the true story, and whether the records of his letters are accurate (I think this was touched on a little, but it wasn't a road the debate went down). Anyhow, good debate - would love to go on talking about it, but I'm late for school :tongue: Catchy'all laters :wink:
    •  
      CommentAuthorSubJunk 
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2010
      1 point
    It's awesome to see you have an interest in this stuff :smile: I smell some good discussions coming up.
    You're right that Licona is the more charismatic of the two, and I would extend that point to 99% of these types of debates; those on the side of religious truth often speak in a very convincing way that people relate to, whereas the opposing side usually take a more straight-forward approach.
    It can sometimes result in the person on the side of religious truth winning the audience over despite losing the debate and hopefully over time we can start to formally realise it and try to incorporate it into the way we talk on the other side, because I think rational/naturalist movements would finally be able to reach the deeply-entrenched people like that. It doesn't mean we have to abandon logic in the discussion - since what is the point of replacing one dogma with another - but we can mix it with eloquence and all those diplomatic subtleties.

I would have loved to see more on Paul's intentions as well, especially because Carrier has a lot of insight in it. Have you read any of his books?

Runamok: hard to tell if you've hit the crazy dancing guy to be fair
    •  
      CommentAuthorJAMedic 
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2010 edited
      1 point
    SubJunk:It's awesome to see you have an interest in this stuff :smile: I smell some good discussions coming up.

Mhm, definitely - I'm always keen for a serious discussion, as long as it isn't tooooo serious :wink:
    You're right that Licona is the more charismatic of the two,

That's a much better way to word it than by simply saying "...a better speaker..." - I didn't mean to (and hope I didn't) give the impression that I felt Carrier was a poor speaker or that I felt his argument was weak, so thanks for clarifying this. :smile:

I'd started to reply more lengthily to your reply, but I'm 'fraid I've got masses of stuff to do tonight, so I'll have to leave it at that for now :sad: (that said, I'll definitely be up to a good discussion later on)

Edit: (...oh, and no, I haven't read any of Carrier's work, in fact the topic itself is fairly new to me - at least in terms of a historical perspective. I'd be interested in finding out what Carrier has to say on Paul's trustworthiness though - he brushed on having doubts at one point in the main body of the debate, but didn't elaborate. Was there anything in the second part - the audience's opportunity to question the debaters - about this? I wouldn't be surprised if it came up there, but I'm afraid I didn't have time to watch that part of the discussion. [If there're any books of Carrier's you'd really emphatically recommend, I'd be quite keen to read them, although since I'm preeetty busy what with school and all I don't have much time for leisure reading anymore :sad:])
    •  
      CommentAuthorSubJunk 
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2010
      0 points
    Looking forward to the reply mate :bigsmile:

Sense and Goodness Without God is his most well-known book and I recommend reading it if you're interested in morality and consistent worldviews.
    There's also the one he mentioned in the debate called The Empty Tomb, which is a collaboration/compilation that he contributed to.
    I haven't completely read either of them but I use The Empty Tomb as a reference and I'm making my way through Sense and Goodness Without God. Both are good.

Runamok: hard to tell if you've hit the crazy dancing guy to be fair
  1.   1 point
    waaa, maybe i should watch the video to join the conversation lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorApoc
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2010
      0 points
    Lol, I reckon. I've got no idea what they're saying, even though I'm a Christian, lol.
    •  
      CommentAuthorElScorcho 
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2010
      0 points
    omg, religion has found our forums, we are in trouble :bigsmile:
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrendan
      0 points
    Rofl Scorch.
  2.   0 points
    ahh im getting aboard the fail boat... :wink: everyone for themselves!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorb0n3z 
      0 points
    nothing wrong with religion, everybody has their own opinion, and is entitled to one. It is just people who push their views on others when things become tense, and violent. (I am a Catholic Freemason btw)

Marchic: If a thread doesn't get hijacked it's just not Red Skies... BOOBIES FOR ALL!!!!!!!!!!!