Configuration['CM_PERMISSION_CAN_MANAGE_COMMUNITY_MODERATION'] = false; $Context->Configuration['CM_PERMISSION_CAN_MODERATE'] = false; $Context->Configuration['CM_PERMISSION_CAN_META_MODERATE'] = false; $Context->Configuration['CM_PERMISSION_IMMUNE_TO_MODERATION'] = false; $Context->Configuration['CM_PERMISSION_NO_MAXIMUM_POINTS'] = false; $Context->Configuration['CM_PERMISSION_CAN_RE_MODERATE'] = false; $Context->Configuration['CM_PERMISSION_CAN_RE_META_MODERATE'] = false; $Context->Configuration['CM_PERMISSION_UNLIMITED_MODERATION_VOTES'] = false; $Context->Configuration['CM_PERMISSION_CAN_MODERATE_OWN_COMMENTS'] = false; $Context->Configuration['CM_PERMISSION_CAN_MODERATE_OWN_DISCUSSIONS'] = false; $Context->Configuration['CM_PERMISSION_CAN_MODERATE_AND_META_MODERATE_SAME_COMMENT'] = false; $Context->Configuration['CM_PERMISSION_CAN_RE_MODERATE_USERS'] = false; $Context->Configuration['CM_PERMISSION_CAN_VIEW_USER_POINTS'] = false; $Context->Configuration['CM_PERMISSION_CAN_VIEW_OWN_POINTS'] = false; $Context->Configuration['CM_PERMISSION_CAN_VIEW_USER_POINTS_HISTORY'] = false; $Context->Configuration['CM_PERMISSION_CAN_VIEW_OWN_POINTS_HISTORY'] = false; $Context->Configuration['CM_PERMISSION_CAN_SEE_UP_VOTES'] = false; $Context->Configuration['CM_PERMISSION_CAN_SEE_DOWN_VOTES'] = false; function CM_Role_DefineRolePermissions(&$Role) { $Role->AddPermission('CM_PERMISSION_CAN_MANAGE_COMMUNITY_MODERATION'); $Role->AddPermission('CM_PERMISSION_CAN_MODERATE'); $Role->AddPermission('CM_PERMISSION_CAN_META_MODERATE'); $Role->AddPermission('CM_PERMISSION_IMMUNE_TO_MODERATION'); $Role->AddPermission('CM_PERMISSION_NO_MAXIMUM_POINTS'); $Role->AddPermission('CM_PERMISSION_CAN_RE_MODERATE'); $Role->AddPermission('CM_PERMISSION_CAN_RE_META_MODERATE'); $Role->AddPermission('CM_PERMISSION_UNLIMITED_MODERATION_VOTES'); $Role->AddPermission('CM_PERMISSION_CAN_MODERATE_OWN_COMMENTS'); $Role->AddPermission('CM_PERMISSION_CAN_MODERATE_OWN_DISCUSSIONS'); $Role->AddPermission('CM_PERMISSION_CAN_MODERATE_AND_META_MODERATE_SAME_COMMENT'); $Role->AddPermission('CM_PERMISSION_CAN_RE_MODERATE_USERS'); $Role->AddPermission('CM_PERMISSION_CAN_VIEW_USER_POINTS'); $Role->AddPermission('CM_PERMISSION_CAN_VIEW_OWN_POINTS'); $Role->AddPermission('CM_PERMISSION_CAN_VIEW_USER_POINTS_HISTORY'); $Role->AddPermission('CM_PERMISSION_CAN_VIEW_OWN_POINTS_HISTORY'); $Role->AddPermission('CM_PERMISSION_CAN_SEE_UP_VOTES'); $Role->AddPermission('CM_PERMISSION_CAN_SEE_DOWN_VOTES'); } $Context->AddToDelegate('Role', 'DefineRolePermissions', 'CM_Role_DefineRolePermissions'); ?> Red Skies | Urban Terror | Forum - Standing desks
Not signed in (Sign In)

News

2012-12-03
4.2.008 released!
2012-12-01
Red Skies t-shirt
2012-10-28
4.2.004 released!
2012-10-12
4.2.003 released!
2012-10-03
4.2.002 released!
2012-07-30
Auth system
2012-05-29
4.2 News
2012-05-14
Member kicked

Vanilla 1.3.0 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSubJunk 
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2010
      0 points
    Does anyone here have a standing desk?
    There have been several studies over the last decade showing that sitting down for long periods of time increases risk of heart failure and raises obesity significantly and is unaffected by exercise; if you sit for most of 8 hours (which most full-time office workers do) even if you spend the morning and evening exercising it doesn't offset your risk.

Articles in the past few years have been published on sites like Lifehacker, Engadget, etc. and today one was released in the [url=http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/07/14/phys-ed-the-men-who-stare-at-screens/]New York Times[/url], confirming the others by quoting study results:
    NYTMen who spent more than 23 hours a week watching TV and sitting in their cars (as passengers or as drivers) had a 64 percent greater chance of dying from heart disease than those who sat for 11 hours a week or less

Furthermore, it also confirmed that exercise doesn't offset the risk:
    NYTWhat was unexpected was that many of the men who sat long hours and developed heart problems also exercised. Quite a few of them said they did so regularly and led active lifestyles. The men worked out, then sat in cars and in front of televisions for hours, and their risk of heart disease soared, despite the exercise. Their workouts did not counteract the ill effects of sitting.

The thing that does counteract the ill effects is standing instead of sitting. Exercise is optional, the key is simply to stand instead of sit.
    I want all of you to be healthy, so please consider this information.

Runamok: hard to tell if you've hit the crazy dancing guy to be fair
  1.   0 points
    Did the people who stood exercise too, out of curiosity?

That's interesting though, maybe i should get a standing desk too mm
    •  
      CommentAuthorRocket 
      0 points
    I don't have a standing desk, but I spend my day at school anyways, so it wouldn't benefit me (couldn't use it at school). This is interesting though.
    Would the same risk apply if you sat for an hour, then walked for 5 mins, sat for 2 hours, stood for 15 mins, sat for 2 hours, stood for 1 hour on and off, sat for 4 hours, then stood for 20 mins, then sat again for another hour do you think?
    That's basically my day for this week and next btw (excluding when I'm home, but including bus travel) :tongue:

SubJunk - Rocket teh ninja
    •  
      CommentAuthorSubJunk 
      0 points
    pezcadorissimo:Did the people who stood exercise too, out of curiosity?

That's interesting though, maybe i should get a standing desk too mm
    It's my understanding that all participants had roughly the same exercise habits, and that has been the case in previous studies as well.

Rocket:I don't have a standing desk, but I spend my day at school anyways, so it wouldn't benefit me (couldn't use it at school). This is interesting though.
    Would the same risk apply if you sat for an hour, then walked for 5 mins, sat for 2 hours, stood for 15 mins, sat for 2 hours, stood for 1 hour on and off, sat for 4 hours, then stood for 20 mins, then sat again for another hour do you think?
    That's basically my day for this week and next btw (excluding when I'm home, but including bus travel) :tongue:
    Seems like that does involve a lot of sitting, yes.

I've converted my desk to standing and it's nice. It takes a while to get used to (you get slightly sore legs and back at first) but it's ok after a couple of weeks.
    I was trying kneeling at first but that presented other problems, mostly it cuts of circulation to your lower legs which makes your feet get cold and you feel out of breath (as your body is telling you to breathe harder to increase circulation), so I don't recommend that even though it's technically better than sitting.

•  
      CommentAuthorRocket 
      0 points
    Plus your knees get REALLY sore xD
    I tried that myself a few months back. Gave up on it pretty damn fast hahahahaha xD

SubJunk - Rocket teh ninja
    •  
      CommentAuthorSubJunk 
      0 points
    Yeah they did at first but I found that my knees were ok if i left my feet outstretched (so the tops of them were on the floor) and used 2 pillows for my knees, but yeah I couldn't see any ways around the circulation problems

•  
      CommentAuthor[Exo]Soul 
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2010
      0 points
    Students are in shit
  2.   0 points
    dam i sit most of the time :shocked::angry:, dam world is against me ahhaha. job and home wise
    •  
      CommentAuthorb0n3z 
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2010
      0 points
    uni at lappie, urt rest of my day, excpet layin in bed for movies, im farked

Marchic: If a thread doesn't get hijacked it's just not Red Skies... BOOBIES FOR ALL!!!!!!!!!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSubJunk 
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2010
      0 points
    Haha you'll die happy at least