Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Tips & Tricks
  • 33 Comments sorted by
  • Yes.  If the enchantment fails, you lose one of the four stones.
    (name)@andrastta
  • Which is precisely what makes it so un-Rappelz like. You get SO many of level 1 and 2 most stones that knowing you will only lose 1 if it fails is laughable.
    SailorMars
  • Yeah that's true :)
    SubJunk@SubJunkie
  • Locking a Target

Hitboxes can be very annoying.

In PvP, you're trying to finish off that one sickly looking Trickster Rogue as he waddles away in the distance with a few measly hitpoints left, and suddenly Mr. Big Chunky Tank guy jumps in-between you and your target - You immediately start hitting the ever-so-healthy Tank instead of finishing off the rogue. Rogue makes his escape and heals up.

In PvE, you're fighting a big boss with a stupidly large hitbox. The rogue is all "I'll focus the boss, you keep the ADDs under control". Fat chance, the only way you can avoid hitting the boss is by aiming your reticule in the exact other direction, otherwise it absorbs 90% of your attacks just by being in the way.

Something I really wish I had found out about before today:

While you have your reticule over your target - Press and hold Control (Left Control, haven't tested Right Control). You will continue to target that player, monster or NPC until you release Cntrl, and your camera will rotate to face it at all times. So long as you can get a lock on them to begin with, this is nice (although using it for extended periods may cause horrific pinkie-cramp depending on your hands, and the position of your Cntrl key...).

For Saryah, however, who knows I am constantly in need of healing but doesn't really have the time to locate where I am in order to send heals my way...

MACROS for Great Victory

Like other big-scale games (AION, Vanguard, probably AoC too), Neverwinter has some built-in Macro making functions.

Macros are built and run through the use of Commands, which you type into the chat box. Generally you start them with a slash (/<commandname>)

Running a command: /sit (you will sit down) /bind a sit (your 'a' key will now make you sit down) /cmdlist (spams your chat box with a big ugly list of all the commands you can run)

Binding commands to keys: type /bind, then the key you wish to press, 
    8, then what you want that key to do 
    /Target. Sometimes a command requires more details, in this case "target what?", perhaps Saryah.

It will look like /bind 8 target saryah and when I hit enter, the game will make me target Saryah if she is nearby (she will light up blue) whenever I hit the 8 key. The "target Saryah" function is bound to my 8 key. I can overwrite this later by writing /bind 8 target thatguy and it will attempt to target somebody named thatguy instead.

Giving names to your functions: Instead of having to write 
    /bind 8 target saryah, I can instead write  /bind 8 findsar, where "findsar" is the name of the function to target Saryah. In this case, "findsar" is the name, or the alias.

You start with 
    /alias, and then the name you want to use, like StalkThisPlayer, and then the function, follow.

So the alias command is: /alias StalkThisPlayer follow (I believe they are caps-insensitive, works with and without capitals when you go to use it)

Now, whenever I put /stalkthisplayer into chat, if I have a player or NPC targeted (in my reticule) I will start to follow them (regular "Follow" feature like in most games).

Okay, so that's kind of inefficient, since it takes longer to type /stalkthisplayer than it does to type /follow... BUT- You can combine this with binding ->

Binding an Alias: /bind 7 stalkthisplayer will make me Follow my target whenever I hit 7. 

Yeah, okay, so I could have just done /bind 7 follow and that would do the same thing... But you can combine aliases together to perform a string of functions in succession.

Okay, that sounds... Long and messy and complicated.

Yeah, it is a bit if you aren't used to this sort of business (I'm not 'used' to it, but I can do it).

However, the power it comes with is pretty cool.

What got me really excited

Prefacing this:

When you run /target saryah, for some reason it doesn't really target them - it targets them for about a second, and then unselects them (they turn blue, "selected" for a second, and then they get un-blue, un-selected). So, to get around this, we use the Target function and immediately follow it with a "keep targeting this thing" function.

The functions we use are:

/HardTargetLock 0 and /HardTargetLock 1 which respectively turn "hard targeting" on and off, or /++HardTargetLock which toggles it on or off.

HardLock means you will follow them no matter what (you can't control your camera angle, it will follow the target to the death). It can be annoying, and you need a way to turn it off. Use HardTargetLock 0 to turn it off with a separate key, or use ++HardTargetLock to use the same key again to disable it.

Step 1) Create an Alias to Select Saryah

/alias selsar target saryah

Step 2) Create an Alias to Lock the current target

/alias loktar ++HardTargetLock

Step 3) Bind a key to a composite function of those 2 Aliases

/bind j "selsar $$ loktar"

Now when I hit J, I will Target Saryah and my camera will continue to follow her until I press J again (because ++HardTargetLock is a toggle). My camera will turn around to face her if she is behind me. If I run /follow I will follow her, because she is targeted. I won't be able to use offensive spells, as I am targeting a friendly - however I could heal her - you know, if I had a heal skill. 

Now... If I go into PVP and I want to target a particular opponent regularly (if they're a healer or Control Wizard, so I have to keep them crowd controlled all the time, or if I just don't like them... ;p),

let's say I want to target someone named badguy87.

I can overwrite my target alias:

/alias selsar target badguy87

and now when I hit J, I will target badguy87 (no matter who or what is standing between me and them). I don't need to touch the loktar alias or the J keybind, just the selsar alias, to change the name.

Okay, what else can it do?

Naturally, I went straight to the moral grey area with this. We were in an area when a contest started to capture as many "Flittering Whisp" spawns as we could.

They aren't the most visible things around, just little glimmers of light.

Assuming I have the selsar/loktar alias/bind mentioned above,

/alias selsar flittering whisp

and now pressing J will lock onto the nearest Flittering Whisp! >:D

Granted, it might be on the other side of a wall, or over a huge ravine, but either way - you still get that sneaky feeling of cheating within the rules. Welp, I did.

Okay, what else can I do?

I have't played around with this enough yet, but I intend to. I'm sure you can do all sorts of awesome stuff with these commands. Looking forward to finding out!

Some sources:

List of available commands:

http://neverwintercrypts.com/miscellaneous/complete-console-commands/
    http://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Console_command

Some pages I used to get the Lock Target function working:

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?218762-PSA-How-to-rebind-target-lock-to-another-key

http://isboxer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=3957

Other notes:

Apparently Binds get saved, but Aliases don't. So you might have to re-do aliases every time you log in - I haven't tried this yet, haven't logged in again to test this.

Reportedly, you can get around this by making a regular single-function bind and doing a Bind Save (/bind_save_file binds.txt), editing the file (binds.txt) and modifying it to change the single function to a composite function (e.g. change "hardtargetlock 1" to "hardtargetlock 1 $$ target Gwenndy"). I will probably need to explore this later, if Aliases really aren't preserved between login sessions.

Anyhow, fun times! ^^

SailorMars
    Post edited by Tuxedomask at 2013-06-16 12:14:24
  • I love that there are people in the group willing to check this kind of thing out and share it :D
    Corvidae@notmygod
    >>>
  • Very cool stuff man. This should be pretty familiar to the Urban Terror guys; in that game people often spend a long time working on "configs" which is a txt file with binds/macros/functions to make the game work how you want it to. We had some pretty advanced ones that we handed out to the guild called RSConfig. Ahh memories!
    Cheers for the writeup!
    SubJunk@SubJunkie
  • That was an awesome read, thanks Tux!
    (name)@andrastta
  • I believe it was better the first time around, but when I hit Post Comment (was using Chrome) instead of posting it, it gave me a second "type your message here" box below the first one. Both of them contained my last Save Draft version, which was up to about What got me really excited. Typing up the rest again in the wee hours of the morning - 'dat groan.

I'm really glad there are forums out there with people discussing it, as the in-game documentation isn't all that helpful.

I need to look into /PowerTrayExec and /Power_Exec

I think I tried  /PowerTrayExec, documentation says PowerSlotExec <Active> <Slot>. I think  /PowerTrayExec 1 4 runs whatever is in 4th slot ( Sudden Storm for me, in the [R] key slot, which can be used anywhere without a target). 

Might be useful to have 3-4-5 macros for using potions or something.

SailorMars
  • Yeah the second message box thing is annoying and happens to me all the time. It's because of Vanilla 2's bad Ajax implementation.
    SubJunk@SubJunkie
  • What AJAX does it even need to use when submitting data? T_T
    SailorMars
  • It submits posts via Ajax
    SubJunk@SubJunkie
  • What the hell?
    (name)@andrastta
  • Courtesy of Google Translate, Chinese - detected to English:

Integrated disinfection

Usually someone at home cold or a stomach, housewives will always pay more attention to disinfect dishes at home, usually we used is thrown into boiling water to cook. In fact, as long as a few minutes in the microwave, microwave dishes will be put on the attached bacteria, viruses kill half.

Some easily contaminated with bacteria or a higher frequency of cross-use towels, rags, etc., such as hand towels, rags and even personal clothing socks can also be sterilized in this way, to avoid the disinfectant residual.

Food preservation machine

For some valuable medicinal herbs, save water easily produce mold, affecting efficacy, before saving if you put them in the microwave slightly heated about two or three minutes, turning halfway twice may be appropriate to let it cool before packed in sealed container, it can be safely stored for a long it. Of course, before heating is best to ask the pharmacist, because some drugs lose efficacy after heating.

In addition to herbs, some of the easy to damp dry goods, such as peanuts, green beans, etc. can also use this method. The wet seeds, peanuts, pine nuts, hazelnuts and other nuts, evenly spread flat on a glass plate in the microwave to heat mid-range, intermediate shutdown flip several times, Bugs software, for about 3 minutes, remove, nuts and become Ga bang crisp.

Fruit juicer

In the fruit rind poke several holes, and then heated in the microwave fruit ten seconds, remove the stand for 2 minutes, then hand rub a rub, then cut the fruit, you can easily squeeze the juice.

Napkins becomes fragrant machine

Water and mild wet napkins, spray some of their favorite fruit juice, such as lemon juice, then roll up in a microwave oven, high heat for 30 seconds, and then clamp the clip out of towels, cooling after use. Do so out of scented paper towel without adding chemical ingredients that are completely natural product.

Vegetables desiccant

You can try to do with a microwave oven dried vegetables, fresh beans, eggplant and other vegetables washed, sliced ​​roots after controlling water, put in a microwave oven, with a small power (1 to 3 minutes) is heated to a portion of vegetables off the water, and then to sun drying on the balcony, dehydrated vegetables, dry skin shrink into shape, sealed in plastic bags, you can save for a long time, save time. Direct microwave dehydration, but also try to control the loss of trace elements in vegetables. When eating just soaked with water on it.

Dough

Usually need the dough at room temperature for 1 hour or more to ferment, but if placed in a microwave oven only 15 minutes. Place the dough in a large bowl covered with plastic wrap in the microwave center, placed behind the 8-ounce glass of water, Huohou to the minimum (10% of the fire can be), heated for 3 minutes, let the dough in the microwave for 3 minutes; then heated for 3 minutes, recapture 6 minutes, the dough volume will swell 1 times.

Wow o_o

SailorMars