Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Growing edibles
  • This year Andate and I are growing a few edible plants. We're growing kale, quinoa, beetroot, broccoli, carrots and cos lettuce.
    The reason for these plants is they are very nutrient-dense and between them there is a lot of balance:

Kale has basically everything, from carotenoids to calcium to vitamins and much more, it's great for preventing cancer.
    Quinoa has lots of protein as well as magnesium, iron, calcium and fiber.
    Beetroot is packed with antioxidants and lots of stuff that lowers blood pressure and decreases the chance of heart disease and stroke.
    Broccoli is anti-viral, anti-bacterial and anti-cancer, so much so that one of its ingredients directly blocks the growth of cancer cells.
    Carrots have lots of minerals, antioxidants and fibre, and also improve your vision due to high concentration of vitamin A.
    Cos (romaine) lettuce has antioxidants and reduces levels of cancer-causing carcinogens in your body and has more nutrients than other lettuces.

Do you guys grow stuff to eat? Got any growing tips?
  • 7 Comments sorted by
  • Dunno the names, but I've grown stuff in the fridge on stuff I should've eaten weeks ago.
  • Hahaha, let us know how that goes Tux
  • Attempted growing carrots... Never again..
  • I dont know if it will be different for you guys over there but when I grew broccoli in the back garden we had so many bright green caterpillars (one was enormous) that we just decided to never try again. Even after washing and cutting it all up and double checking a couple small dead ones showed up in the water... so gross
    <<<
  • Yeah we've had problems with them too, they are the babies of those white butterflies/moths. We're using derris dust to prevent them
  • Yup, cabbage 'pillars.  Lil bitches. 
    There's as much hole as leaf in our broccoli now =.=